Ways to Give
There are many ways to give. One simple way is to use our self-service donation partner by selecting the icon on the right. For more information on any of the options below, contact Northern Human Services Development Department at 603-447-3347.
Contribute to Northern Human Services future by planning for a special kind of gift. Although cash contributions to Northern are always appreciated, there are other creative and flexible options that can benefit you and Northern. You can help ensure Northern’s future by creating a trust while you are living or by including Northern in your will. Appreciated securities are an excellent way of funding many of these gifts, often unlocking greater income while eliminating, or at least reducing, capital gains tax.
A bequest is on of the simplest ways to provide for Northern Human Services future and can take many forms. You may arrange for NHS to receive:
A specific dollar amount
Specified assets, such as securities, real estate or tangible personal property
All or a percentage of the remainder of your estate after all other obligations (a residuary bequest)
You may make a bequest to Northern Human Services by preparing a new will or by adding a codicil to your present will. An outright bequest to NHS is fully tax-deductible for estate-tax purposes.
Charitable Remainder Trusts
This arrangement is an individually managed trust that may be tailored to meet your specific financial needs and can provide either a fixed or variable income for the life of the beneficiaries or for a set number of years, not to exceed 20. The donated assets (typically cash, securities, and/or real property) are irrevocably transferred to a Trustee.
There are two variations:
- A charitable remainder annuity trust – pays income as a fixed dollar amount that remains constant for the term of the trust
- A charitable remainder unitrust – pays income that varies from year to year
At the termination of the trust, the remaining assets pass to NHS for its general purposes or for the use you specify.
A charitable deduction for a portion of your contribution is available on your income tax return in the year you make the gift.
Charitable Gift Annuities
This agreement between you and NHS provides you with an annuity, an annual fixed payment for life, in exchange for irrevocably transferring assets to NHS.
- Gifts can be made with cash or marketable securities. The minimum gift is $10,000.00
- The fixed payment amount you receive will be determined by how much you contribute and your age at the time the gift is made.
- Income for life may be paid to one or two annuitants. The minimum age at which an annuitant can received payments is 65.
- A portion of the payment is tax-free.
- A charitable deduction is available for a portion of your contribution on your income tax return in the year you make the gift.
- It is possible to defer receiving payments for one or more years. This will result in higher annuity payments, higher tax deduction (available in the year you make the gift), allowing you to enjoy increased retirement income.
- Use our Planned Giving Calculator. The calculator is designed to provide you with an illustration of the income and tax benefits to which you may be entitled if you establish a charitable gift annuity to benefit Northern. When using the calculator, please list charitable gift annuity when asked for “gift type”.
Retirement Assets, Life Insurance, Real Estate
Retirement account assets, if left to anyone other than a spouse, may be subject to very high taxation. However, by designating Northern Human Services as recipient of any benefits remaining in your retirement plan, you may effectively reduce the taxes on those assets.
The gift of your home is a unique and meaningful way to support Northern Human Services
You can enjoy the satisfaction of making such a gift during your lifetime—without affecting your current lifestyle—by a special arrangement called a retained life estate.
You may wish to make Northern Human Services the beneficiary of a life insurance policy.
With gifts involving any of these assets, there are many variable to consider. Please call for an appointment with our planned giving advisor to discuss your particular situation.
Copyright © Northern Human Services | Administrative Offices on 87 Washington St, Conway NH 03818 | 603-447-3347
If you have any questions or comments about the website please contact us at NHS Website.