Family Support Council
Serving families with members who have a developmental disability
The Family Support Council is an advisory board to the Board of Directors of Northern Human Services.
The Council’s mission is to improve programming and services for individuals with developmental disabilities via information, networking, resource/referral opportunities, and direct service activities. The Council meets one time per month and welcomes public participation. In addition, the Family Support welcomes new members.
Who are we?
We are parents/caregivers of a family member with a developmental disability.
What do we do?
In addition to advising Northern Human Services’ Board of Directors in matters concerning families in our region, we assist families in the following ways:
- Providing education in areas of concern to families in Region One through workshops, forums, conferences…
How often do we meet?
The council meets once a month on the third Monday of the month. Meetings start at 6:00 PM and end at promptly at 7:30 PM. Parents or caregivers of an individual with a developmental disability are welcome to attend. Some subcommittees may meet between full council meetings.
Where are the meetings?
From late spring through early fall, we alternate meetings at Northern Buildings in Berlin, Conway and other areas. The rest of the year (when snow and ice make travel difficult) we make use of Web based video conferencing. Anytime of the year if our members are unable to attend our meetings in person we have Web based video conferencing and /or teleconferencing to attend.
Interested in becoming a member? Contact any of the members or your Family Support Coordinator for more information.
- Helping families advocate for themselves in matters affecting services for their member with a developmental disability
- Providing regional “fun” recreational activities, such as bowling and movies, where families can have fun and more importantly connect with other families
- Provide limited emergency funding that will assist the family in providing a home environment, or in improving the life of the family member with a developmental disability. These discretionary funds can be applied for through the Family Support Coordinator after all other sources have been sought.
- Keeping families informed about pending state or federal legislation that would impact the services for their family member
Co-Chair: Jennifer Pineo (603) 616-7170
Co-Chair: Emily James (603) 651-8912
Steve Michaud (603) 466-9999
Wendy Lucier(603) 631-0829
Susemarie Swenson (603) 616-2106
Copyright © Northern Human Services | Administrative Offices on 87 Washington St, Conway NH 03818 | 603-447-3347
If you have any questions or comments about the website please contact us at NHS Website.